A fluid coupling consists of 2 parts: the turbine and the pump. There are also blades inside, which are placed at an angle. The pump is mounted on the drive shaft end, while the turbine is on the driven shaft. When fluid enters the pump, the drive shaft rotates under the action of centrifugal force. When you add a reactor, it becomes a torque converter. Its main uses are industrial and marine applications.
Fluid Coupling Specifications
Selection power table (KW)
Technical Data Sheet of Constant Filling Fluid Couplings YOX-Series
Main production equipment:
Large lathe, surface grinder, milling machine, gear shaper, spline milling machine, horizontal broaching machine, gear hobbing machine, shaper, slotting machine, bench drilling machine, radial drilling machine, boring machine, band sawing machine, horizontal lathe, end milling machine, crankshaft grinder, CNC milling machine, casting equipment, etc.
Dynamic balance tester, high-speed intelligent carbon and sulfur analyzer, Blochon optical hardness tester, Leeb hardness tester, magnetic yoke flaw detector, special detection, modular fixture (self-made), etc.
Application – Photos from our partner customers
Our leading products are mechanical transmission basic parts – couplings, mainly including universal couplings, drum gear couplings, elastic couplings and other 3 categories of more than 30 series of varieties. It is widely used in metallurgical steel rolling, wind power, hydropower, mining, engineering machinery, petrochemical, lifting, paper making, rubber, rail transit, shipbuilding and marine engineering and other industries.
Our factory takes the basic parts of national standards as the benchmark, has more than 40 years of coupling production experience, takes “scientific management, pioneering and innovation, ensuring quality and customer satisfaction” as the quality policy, and aims to continuously provide users with satisfactory products and services. The production is guided by reasonable process, and the ISO9001:2015 quality management system standard is strictly implemented. We adhere to the principle of continuous improvement and innovation of coupling products. In recent years, it has successfully developed 10 national patent products such as SWF cross shaft universal coupling, among which the double cross shaft universal joint has won the national invention patent, SWF cross shaft universal coupling has won the new product award of China’s general mechanical parts coupling industry and the ZHangZhoug Province new product science and technology project.
Our factory has strong technical force, excellent process equipment, complete professional production equipment, perfect detection means, excellent after-sales service, various products and complete specifications. At the same time, we can provide the design and manufacturing of special non-standard products according to the needs of users. Our products sell well at home and abroad, and are trusted by the majority of users. We sincerely welcome friends from all walks of life at home and abroad to visit and negotiate for common development.p
Impact of Fluid Coupling on the Overall Reliability of a Power Transmission System
A fluid coupling can significantly contribute to the overall reliability of a power transmission system in various ways:
- Smooth Power Transmission: Fluid couplings facilitate smooth power transmission between the driving and driven components, minimizing shocks and vibrations during startup and operation. This reduces the risk of sudden failures or damages to connected equipment.
- Overload Protection: Fluid couplings offer inherent overload protection by allowing controlled slip during sudden load changes or overloads. This protects the system from excessive stresses and prevents damage to the motor and driven machinery.
- Reduced Mechanical Wear: The smooth operation of fluid couplings reduces mechanical wear on connected components, such as gearboxes, belts, and chains. This results in longer service life and decreased maintenance requirements.
- Increased Equipment Life: By reducing stress and wear on the entire power transmission system, fluid couplings can extend the service life of motors, gearboxes, and other components. This enhances the overall reliability of the system over an extended period.
- Enhanced System Safety: The ability of fluid couplings to protect against shock loads and overloads enhances the safety of personnel working with or near the machinery. It prevents sudden and unpredictable movements, reducing the risk of accidents and injuries.
- Stable Performance: Fluid couplings maintain a constant speed ratio between the driving and driven shafts, ensuring stable and predictable performance of the power transmission system. This predictability aids in maintaining process stability and efficiency.
Incorporating a properly sized and selected fluid coupling into a power transmission system can improve its reliability, reduce downtime, and prevent costly breakdowns. Regular maintenance and monitoring of the fluid coupling also play a crucial role in ensuring long-term reliability and trouble-free operation.
Fluid Couplings for Soft-Start Applications in Conveyor Systems
Yes, fluid couplings are well-suited for soft-start applications in conveyor systems. Soft-starting is the gradual acceleration of the conveyor belt to reduce sudden mechanical stress and current spikes during startup. Fluid couplings provide a smooth and controlled method of power transmission, making them ideal for achieving soft-start capabilities in conveyor systems.
When a conveyor system equipped with a fluid coupling starts, the fluid inside the coupling initially acts as a viscous medium, allowing the input and output shafts to rotate at different speeds. As the fluid coupling fills with fluid, it gradually transmits torque and smoothly accelerates the conveyor belt.
One of the significant advantages of using fluid couplings for soft-start applications is that they provide adjustable startup times. By controlling the amount of fluid inside the coupling, the startup acceleration rate can be precisely tuned to match the specific requirements of the conveyor system.
The soft-start feature offered by fluid couplings helps in several ways:
- Mechanical Stress Reduction: The gradual acceleration minimizes mechanical stress on the conveyor belt, pulleys, and other components, leading to extended equipment life and reduced maintenance costs.
- Energy Savings: Soft-starting prevents sudden current spikes and reduces the power demand during startup, resulting in energy savings and improved efficiency.
- Improved Conveyor Belt Life: By avoiding abrupt starts, the wear and tear on the conveyor belt are reduced, leading to longer belt life and decreased downtime.
- Enhanced Conveyor Control: Soft-start capabilities enable better control over the conveyor system, allowing operators to optimize the material flow and prevent product spillage or jamming.
Fluid couplings offer reliable and cost-effective soft-start solutions for conveyor systems across various industries, including mining, manufacturing, and material handling. They are particularly beneficial when dealing with heavy loads or long conveyor belts, where the avoidance of sudden shock loads is critical.
In summary, fluid couplings are a popular choice for soft-start applications in conveyor systems due to their smooth and controlled power transmission, adjustable startup times, and the ability to reduce mechanical stress and energy consumption during startup.
Comparison: Fluid Coupling vs. Torque Converter
Fluid couplings and torque converters are both hydrodynamic devices used in automotive and industrial applications to transmit power between an engine and a driven load. While they share some similarities, they also have distinct differences:
- Function: The primary function of both fluid couplings and torque converters is to transmit rotational power from the engine to the transmission or driven load. They allow for smooth power transmission and provide a degree of isolation between the engine and the load.
- Construction: Both devices consist of an impeller, a turbine, and a housing filled with hydraulic fluid (usually oil). The impeller is connected to the engine’s crankshaft, the turbine to the transmission/input shaft, and the housing is shared between the two.
- Torque Transmission: In a fluid coupling, the power is transmitted purely through hydrodynamic principles. The impeller accelerates the fluid, which then drives the turbine. However, there is no torque multiplication, and the output speed is always slightly less than the input speed. On the other hand, a torque converter can provide torque multiplication due to its stator, which redirects the fluid flow and increases the torque transmitted to the turbine.
- Lock-up Clutch: Some torque converters have a lock-up clutch that can mechanically connect the impeller and the turbine at higher speeds. This effectively eliminates the slip between the two elements and increases overall efficiency, similar to the operation of a fluid coupling at higher speeds.
- Automotive Use: Torque converters are commonly used in automatic transmissions in vehicles, while fluid couplings were more prevalent in older manual transmissions. However, modern manual transmissions generally use clutch systems instead of fluid couplings.
- Efficiency: Fluid couplings are generally more efficient than torque converters, especially at higher speeds. Torque converters can experience efficiency losses due to fluid slippage and the operation of the stator.
- Applications: Fluid couplings find applications in various industrial machinery, such as conveyors, pumps, and crushers, where the priority is smooth power transmission and overload protection. Torque converters are primarily used in vehicles, offering the benefit of automatic gear shifting and torque multiplication during acceleration.
Overall, both fluid couplings and torque converters play essential roles in power transmission, but their specific design and application characteristics determine their suitability for different use cases.
editor by CX 2023-11-07